Ramakrishna-VivekanandaAshrama of Georgia
Talks, Classes & Spiritual Fellowship
in Athens, GA
Those of you you who would like to discuss the work in Athens for this coming year, please meet with me tomorrow evening (Sunday Feb 2) at the University of Georgia Main Library (320 S. Jackson St., Athens, GA 30602). You can join us anytime between 7 and 9:30pm.
We will gather in the Library’s Lobby at 7pm. At 7:20 we will move on to a Study Room booked for us by Steven Pottier. If you come later than 7:20, the Information Desk will have directions to the room where we’re meeting; just ask for Steven Pottier or Br. Shankara.
Here’s how we’ll use the time:
- 7:20-8pm Talk: “Perfect Equnimity — a poem by Hafiz”
(For details about this talk, please visit vedantaatlanta.org)
- 8-8:15 Q&A and discussion of the talk
- 8:15-9:30 An open forum on what the group would like to study this year, and how would you like to study it: 10am-4pm Saturday intensives; a series of 1-1/2 hour classes, as we have been doing; a mix of the two, or some other format entirely. Let’s develop some agreements that can guide me in preparing for the coming months.
If you cannot make tomorrow’s gathering, please call or email me (contact info below). I’d really like to hear from you.
May you all be well and in bright spirits,
2321 4th St., #109
Tucker GA 30084-8507
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
Shreyam Param Avaapsyatha
Nurturing one another
You will attain the highest Good
Bhagavad Gita, Ch. 3:11
Ramakrishna-Vivekananda Ashrama of Georgia, Inc. (Ashrama) was founded to share the principles and practices of self-realization and service to humanity taught by Sri Ramakrishna, Sri Sarada Devi, and Swami Vivekananda. This will be done by instruction and by example.
To achieve these purposes the Ashrama will:
- maintain a schedule of classes, talks, retreats, and other related activities;
- help establish Sisters and Brothers of America (SABOA), an intentional spiritual community of retired Vedantists;
- train interested SABOA members to serve as resident ministers for private Vedanta centers;
- produce digital, print, and other media;
- rent, lease, or purchase facilities as needed; and
- accept donations to support and sustain our efforts.
All are welcome to join us, as you wish and are able.
Come, let us go forward together!
Br. Shankara founded the Ashrama in January 2019. He is a disciple of Swami Prabhavananda, a senior swami of the Ramakrishna Order of India (The Swami left the body on July 4, 1976.). Br. Shankara studied spiritual practice under Prabhavanandaji and other senior swamis of the Ramakrishna Order, beginning in 1973. He was ordained a monk by Swami Swahananda in 2010. The Swami then assigned Br. Shankara as resident minister of the Vedanta Center of Atlanta, where he has served since August 2010.
Note: Swami Prabhavananda was a disciple of Swami Brahmananda, a direct disciple of Sri Ramamkrishna. Swami Swahananda’s guru was Swami Vijanananda, also a direct disciple of the Master.